Are you looking for a productive sports activity this summer? Bring out your swimming outfits, gear up with your favorite Speedo, and plunge into the refreshing, cool, blue water of Makati Aqua Sports Arena (MASA)!
The adult pool at MASA measures 50 meters in length and it has eight lanes. Water leveled up to my neck; I stand five feet and six inches. The children’s pool on the other side is 20 meters long and shallower.
I was also surprised that I did not feel any cramps in my calves after three hours of staying in the water, something I thought could be ascribed to months of running.
The swimming area is generally clean. There are two security guards (one at the entrance and another near the locker and rest rooms) and two lifeguards wearing orange T-shirts. To secure your belongings, you can get a locker for 10 pesos and leave a valid ID in exchange of the locker key. You have to pay pool fees at the counter near the arena’s entrance before you can use the facilities inside.
MASA is open to public on Tuesdays to Sundays, from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM for the morning session, then resumes at 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM for the afternoon and evening sessions. They close on Mondays for cleaning. They also operate on certain holidays, but call them first at +63 (02) 881-5941 to double check.
How to Get There
The swimming center is located along J.P. Rizal Extension in Makati City, beside Makati Park and Garden and across University of Makati. If you are coming from either South or North of Metro Manila via EDSA, alight at Guadalupe and find the terminal of jeepneys (behind Guadalupe Commercial Complex at P. Victor Street) that are bound to Pateros. Get off at MASA.
Rules and Regulations
A. Following are not allowed in the pool: food and/or drinks; smoking; playing and/or running; diving; balls, inflated tire, tubes, and other toys; any person under the influence of alcohol or prohibited/regulated drugs; any person with open wounds, sores, infection; spitting, blowing of nose, urinating.
B. For strict compliance:
- Proper swimming attire – bathing suit for female, swimming trunks for male, swimming caps for all.
- All pool users are advised to take a shower before dipping/swimming.
- Children below 12 years old must be accompanied by an adult guardian, 21 years old above.
- The deep portion of the pool is for experienced swimmers use only.
- Personal belongings are for the owners account and are not in anyway chargeable to the management.
- Unless authorized, swimming lessons, training, tutoring are prohibited.
- The management reserves the right to refuse any person from using the pool in the interest of public safety, security, and health.
C. Fees: Charges for the use of facility for competitions shall be subject to negotiations or stipulations of a contract approved in accordance with existing rules and regulations. Entrance fees may be waived for city government sanctioned/sponsored activities, competitions, projects.
- P50.00 / individual – Makati residents (show proof of residential address like government-issued IDs)
- P150.00 / individual – Non-Makati residents
So, what are you waiting for? Go out and beat the summer heat at MASA!